On Friday, Heritage NL visited two of our registered heritage structures on the Baccalieu Trail, Mosquito School House in Bristol's Hope and Blundon House in Bay de Verde.
|Blundon House in Bay de Verde|
|Mosquito School House in Bristol's Hope|
Built-in 1896, Blundon House is the last remaining merchant house in Bay de Verde and one of only a few on the lower North Shore of Conception Bay. Originally owned by local merchant John Blundon, the house's exterior accents, ornate detailing, and separate servants' quarters set it apart from other houses in the community through its upper-class owners. His son James later inherited the house.
|Community of Bay de Verde|
Blundon house was donated by Dorothy Blundon, the widow of James Blundon, to the Town of Bay de Verde in 1996, 100 years after it was constructed. It is now preserved and used as the Bay de Verde Heritage House, where it is open to visitors in the summer. Blundon House was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1997.
|New Blundon House Plaque|
Mosquito School House in Bristol's Hope also received a new plaque. This one-room schoolhouse was built around 1823 and was used as a school for over 100 years. Originally built by the Colonial and Continental Church Society, the schoolhouse was located next to the local Methodist church (later United), which was later demolished.
|Mosquito School House exterior|
|Mosquito School House Interior|
The exterior of Mosquito School House has recently been restored, and the interior is representative of a traditional Newfoundland one-room school house. Mosquito School House was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by Heritage NL in 1988.
|New Mosquito School House Plaque|